Thursday, March 13, 2008

Zucchini Cassarole

I'm tired of the terrible assumption that mormon women would die without the use of creamed soups and frozen preservatives. I hate the idea of serving bland meals soley made up of caloric non-texturized items. I feel a responsibility here to prove to myself and all those interested that we can break this stereotype by finding and sharing healthy, flavorfull dishes. And, in the process convince the next generation that it is a pleasure to eat healthy... that produce is the best source to cure the sweet tooth and the munchies. So I started my quest tonight. I have a handfull of great, healthy meals, but we seem to exhaust them so quickly and get bored of the same thing over and over. I don't care if it is soup, salad, or entree, I want to know about it.
And no more of this artificial sweetener... all that chlorine just can't be any better than the real thing.
I'm kicking this off with a recipe I have loved for a long time...
Please share your favs!

Zucchini Casserole

This is an absolutely beautiful dish and very easy. Always layer in a clear glass dish as this is so pretty. Lots of flavor and relatively cheap when zucchini is taking over the garden J

Layers: Sauce:
4 Zucchini - cut in rounds (about ¼ in thick) 1 8oz can tomato sauce
Ground Hamburger- browned with onion 4 shakes of Tabasco
5 Tomatoes- cut in rounds (about ¼ in thick)
Grated cheddar cheese (go very light on this and use sharp for strong flavor-less cheese)

Layer four items in order listed in lightly greased 9x13 pan, salt and pepper each layer. Do this twice. Mix sauce and pour over top. Sprinkle generously with grated parmesan cheese. If you like your veggies a little crunchy cook for 20 min covered, 20 minutes uncovered. If you don’t go with the regular method of 30 min covered, 30 minutes uncovered. 350 degrees.
(I always make two at once and freeze one (raw) for later. It freezes really well. Take out of freezer 12-15 hours before cooking and set on counter top. Cook as directed above.)

No comments: